The senior football enjoyed an excellent season this year, culminating at The Bowl in the Senior Final. The league this year was extremely close with some unexpected results. St. Ninian’s started the season with a resounding 7-0 win away against Ballakermeen. Goal scorers were Caleb Hewgill (3), Cameron Brew, Jasper Duggan, Nathan Little and Lex Madey. The next game saw the boys travel over the Fairy Bridge to King William’s College where they were in control for most of the game and 2-1 up thanks to goals from Harley Jackson and Deaglan Blake. However, with the last kick of the game KWC snatched an equaliser meaning we had to settle for a 2-2 draw. The next three games were all at home and the boys beat QEII 3-1 with a superb performance and goals form Jackson, Madey and Chester Bell who was back after an injury. The next game saw the saints run out easy winners, 12-0 against Castle Rushen. Goals from Greg Kelly (2), Bell (2), Ryan Nelson (2), Noah Vowels, Luca Parlato, Sam Corkill, Blake, Jackson and Brew. The final league game was a close affair with a strong Ramsey side who took an early lead. However, the lads replied with goals from the excellent Sam Corkill, with Jackson and Madey both getting on the scoresheet to give us a 3-1 half time lead. Ramsey fought back however, and scored 2 second half goals meaning the match finished 3-3. This meant that we would then play Ramsey again in the Semi-final, a game in which the saints dominated from start to finish running out 7-1 winners! Goals from Kelly (3), Jackson (2) and Thomas Healy (2) meant we would face local rivals Ballakermeen in the Final.

The game was due to be played at St. John's on Monday night, but bad weather meant it was postponed and moved to The Bowl on Thursday 28th March. The first half was nervy, but St. Ninian’s had the lion share of possession and created a few good chances. With the final poised at 0-0 the second half was a bit more open and finally the Saints got the breakthrough after some excellent work in midfield from Sam Corkill who found Harley Jackson out wide whose accurate cross set up Chester Bell to fire home and take a 1-0 lead. The game looked to be fizzling out, but, in true St. Ninian’s style we conceded with just 4 minutes to go! The game ended 1-1 and went to extra time. Within a couple of minutes of the restart Ballakermeen then found the back of the net which left the Blue and Reds needing a goal. Thankfully, with only a minute to go in extra time, captain Harry Callin fizzed a free kick from the half way line into a packed Balla box, and Ryan Nelson got the all-important touch to take it past the keeper and send the game to a penalty shoot-out! For the Saints, Jackson scored first then Callin saved to give us the edge. Greg Kelly then sent the Balla keeper the wrong way followed by Chester Ball who scored high into the top corner. Caleb Hewgill took the 4th and scored to make it 4-2. Callin then saved again to send the Saint’s players, supporters and staff into wild celebration as they ‘d won the Senior Shield for the second year in a row!

Well done to all involved, it’s been a privilege to take the team this year, and the effort you put in each week paid off in the end!

Up the Saints!

Mr M Kelly

Assistant Subject Leader of Physical Education