Independent learning is the ability to self-motivate and self-manage one’s own learning. This requires a learner to understand the goal and then plan and complete a series of actions to successfully achieve it, ideally with little or no supervision.
Our aim is to develop our students to be independent learners so that they are skilled and equipped for their future learning, career and life challenges.
A successful independent learner can
To develop these skills, we will
- Raise awareness and highlight the importance of these skills across school
- Support these skills through the pastoral and additional support teams
- Develop a suite of KS3 Subject based Independent Learning Tasks
- Provide clear, advance information regarding expectations and deadlines relating to “key pieces of work that students are required to complete as part of their courses in KS4 or KS5
- Feedback and report on these skills to students and their parents